This quick cottage pie recipe is so simple and easy to cook that your fussy eater will absolutely enjoy!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g/1lb 2oz lean minced beef
- 1 rasher rindless back bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 150ml/1/4 pint red wine (optional)
- 250ml/9fl oz beef stock (from a cube is fine)
- leaves from 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 tbsp plain flour
For the topping:
- 750g/1lb 10oz potatoes, quartered
- 75ml/2 1/2fl oz buttermilk or skimmed milk
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan, then tip in the beef and brown well, breaking up any lumps. Tip on to a plate. Add the bacon, onion, mushrooms and garlic to the pan, then cook for 5 minutes until the onion has softened.
- Return the mince to the pan and add the wine (if using), stock and thyme leaves. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes or until the mince is tender. Mix the flour with a little cold water and stir into the sauce. Once thickened, tip the mix into a medium-sized ovenproof dish. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 7.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 15 minutes until soft. Drain and mash with the buttermilk, then stir in half the spring onions. Spoon the mash over the mince and fluff up. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until lightly browned. Serve with your favourite vegetables.
- I used wholemilk and a little butter instead of buttermilk.
- I omitted the spring onions (as my fussy munchkins prefer it without)
- I used dried thyme instead of the leaves
- I didn’t use red wine (I’m funny like that 🙂 )
- I sprinkled some grated cheddar cheese on the top before cooking it in the oven for some added flavour.
This version of the classic dish is also low in salt. A quick and easy dinner that is perfect for the whole family.